Website traffic is life blood of any online venture. This post is going to offer you a series of tips that can boost your website traffic. This article will present you an extensive list of hacks that you can implement on your website to drive more traffic – with minimal work and immediate results.
There is no such thing as a recipe, and constant traffic is one of those formulas that need to be adjusted and re-adjusted in order to work best in your interest. But tips and guidelines are always welcome – just make sure that they align with your marketing strategy, otherwise they might do more harm than good, despite the occasional traffic spike.
- 1 Retargeting
- 2 Use Content Delivery Network
- 3 Use Social Media Platforms
- 4 Get listed on .edu sites
- 5 Schema Microdata
- 6 Unexploited Social Media Marketing Approach
- 7 Debunk a Common Perspective in Your Niche and Prove It’s a Myth
- 8 Use Linkedin Regularly
- 9 Join Niched Twitter Lists
- 10 Use Slideshare Presentations
- 11 Tag & Quote On Social Media the People that Comment on Your Site
- 12 Use Transcription To Broaden Reach Of Your Video Content
- 13 Use Blog Aggregators
- 14 Use Buffer To Reschedule Popular Tweets In Your Industry
- 15 Use Scoop It For Targeted Exposure
- 16 Publish Kindle Books And Link Back To Your Site
- 17 Turn Your Infographics into In-depth Articles & Rank on More Keywords
- 18 Improve User Experience By Optimizing Website Speed
- 19 Pin Tweets that Address Your Reader’s Needs
- 20 Get Yourself Featured on Product Hunt for Expert Feedback
- 21 Use List Posts – They’re Easy to Read & Tweet
- 22 Post Optimized Videos Regularly To Rank For Video Content
- 23 Tag Influencers on Twitter to Let Them Know You Mentioned Them
- 24 Mix Trending Content And Evergreen Content
- 25 Get A Column In Industry Publication
- 26 Write a Response Post to Something/Someone Popular in the Niche
- 27 Publish awesome link-worthy content
- 28 Publish A Series Of Posts
- 29 Build Backlinks
- 30 Join Niche Specific Forums
- 31 Blog often, or on a regular basis
- 32 Build a List
- 33 Grow Your E-Mail List
- 34 Use SEO Friendly WP Themes
- 35 Do basic SEO optimization
- 36 Post frequent updates on your Facebook page
- 37 Use Pinterest to get targeted traffic
- 38 Write an incredible about us page
- 39 The upside down guest post
- 40 Overhaul & Upgrade Old Blog Posts
- 41 Use Of LSI Keywords
- 42 Retarget Visitors With Facebook Ads
- 43 Publish Long-Form Content
- 44 Optimize for Google’s Mobile-First Index
- 45 Promote Blog Posts and Videos on Quuu
- 46 Use a “Question Analyzer” To Create Insanely Useful Content
- 47 Improve Your Organic Click-Though-Rate
- 48 Steal Your Competitors’ Traffic Sources
- 49 Syndicate Your Content on Medium
- 50 Post On Social Media at Strategic Times
- 51 Find More Keywords With “Keywords Everywhere
- Retargeting can be used both very rightly and very wrongly, and the difference makes all the money.
- Drop the Retargeting Pixel on Users Who Engage with Your Content
- It is as simple as adding code to your website.
This way, your custom audience will be more targeted and your overall results will be better, after just one little change.
Use Content Delivery Network
- Use a Content Delivery Network to Promote Posts Based on Users’ Locations
- Delivering content based on location increases website traffic thanks to the improvement in responsiveness.
- Your website will be more optimized and it will work faster, contributing significantly to the overall user experience.
Use Social Media Platforms
- Focus Your Efforts Only on Social Media Platforms that Work for Your Business
- It’s not strategically appropriate to invest a huge amount of time and resources into something that refuses to comply the rules of ROI.
- Fan numbers don’t mean anything if they’re not accompanied by engagement. So focus on what works, instead.
Get listed on .edu sites
- Offer Deals to Universities to Get Listed on .edu Sites
- Authority links and mentions contribute a great deal to a business’ reputation and visibility.
- Lot easier to get notoriety when you’re featured on reputable websites.
- Universities are a great networking source, links from an educational website have a very powerful authority.
- How you choose to materialize this tip depends both on your business model and financial possibilities.
- Easiest way is asking the university you graduated from to mention you as a successful alumnus, now active in the entrepreneurial field.
- Most of us could easily create a course for students who would like to learn about case studies in your niche.
- Use Schema Microdata to Facilitate Website Indexing
- Schema is a type of microdata that helps search engines parse and interpret the info on your website in a more effective and contextual manner, helping both you and the potential customers/readers who perform search queries.
- The practice helps the search engines crawl more efficiently and your visibility can register a boost after introducing it.
- This hack works best for the long term of your business.
- This way, the information on your website is better parsed and interpreted by the search engines.
- You are most likely to see a boost in the overall traffic of your website.
Unexploited Social Media Marketing Approach
- Check out Unexploited Social Media for a Reinvigorating Marketing Approach.
- StumbleUpon, Taboola, Launchbit, and Outbrain, Pinterest – they’re all great ideas for content promotion.
- These social media websites may not be as popular as Twitter and Facebook, and maybe this is why they work so great when it comes to marketing objectives.
- You can address more specific niches, with a higher informational intent.
- If you’ve got catchy articles and high quality pictures, Taboola and Outbrain are the place to go to.
Debunk a Common Perspective in Your Niche and Prove It’s a Myth
- That’s a great start for a website traffic idea, right?
- When everyone’s started to accept something as being true, the voice laughing at those who are not informed will easily stand out.
- Write an article to publicly state the opposite.
- You should keep a neutral voice in order to be reliable as a source.
- Conflicting opinions bring visibility.
Use Linkedin Regularly
- Post Evergreen Content from Your Blog to LinkedIn Regularly
- LinkedIn is natural environment for evergreen content
- Evergreen content can be a constant source of website traffic.
- Making yourself seen on a website where everybody has the same goal – getting in touch with relevant people in the industry, means a lot when it comes to your future targeted traffic.
- Start small, and make changes that will echo in terms of visibility even years from now.
- Posting evergreen articles on LinkedIn increases your website traffic because it connects organically the content you published with the professionals behind the ideas.
Join Niched Twitter Lists
- Join Niched Twitter Lists to Spread Your Message to a Targeted Audience.
- One of the places where things happen with a vicarious rhythm are Twitter lists.
- Being a part of niched twitter lists allows you to see what happens in your niche and to share (relevant!) content with a highly niched audience.
- Repurpose Long Form Content into SlideShare Presentations
- An idea turned in 15 ways around the interests of the readers is as valuable as 15 ideas.
- SlideShare has a huge audience and less than 1 percent of marketers manage to address their audience, which makes it all the more available as a source when it comes to spreading your content.
- Take this Coschedule example above. The original article had 170 shares. However, the SlideShare presentation brought another 100.
- Repurposing content always gives you the chance to actually get substantial and relevant traffic.
- Time spent on Repurposing doesn’t even come close to the amount of time it takes to create new content.
Tag & Quote On Social Media the People that Comment on Your Site
- It’s easy traffic.
- People who’ve commented have spent enough time on your blog as to have a few unanswered questions. It means they’re already a little engaged.
- They’re always striving to be documented on what’s happening in the niche.
- It basically means that you should be humanly friendly with you acquaintances online, just like people used to be in the small towns.
- Try it out and see the results for yourself!
Use Transcription To Broaden Reach Of Your Video Content
- Make sure that all kinds of prospects are able to follow your content.
- Transcribing your video content may come in handy, especially for the kind of audience that doesn’t have enough mobile data to access your video on the spot.
- You can get to rank for content, as you help the search engine contextualize the content of the video.
Use Blog Aggregators
- Use Alltop (or Other Blog Aggregators) to Get Listed as an Authoritative Source.
- Alltop is an authoritative source where people browse information.
As a publisher or a site owner, you’d like to be listed on a blog aggregator because it helps promoting your content and you get a lot of traffic.
Use Buffer To Reschedule Popular Tweets In Your Industry
- Nobody likes to follow a leader who keeps yapping about himself.
- Keep this in mind when you’re using on social media for your blog or website.
- Curating information that you find essential, or funny or provoking is as important as creating some of it of your own.
- Associating yourself with popular people in your industry creates a slippery slope from which you may get hundreds of new followers.
- Never underestimate the potential of networking done right.
Use Scoop It For Targeted Exposure
- Suggest Your Content on a Popular Scoop It Page to Get Colossal Targeted Exposure
- The great news about this tip is that it only takes minutes.
- Some of the Scoop It pages have hundreds of active followers, who represent niched audiences.
- Suggesting content when it’s appropriate and related to the subject of the community increases your chances of traffic spikes.
Publish Kindle Books And Link Back To Your Site
- Along with actively promoting your content on social media from time to time, you can also turn it into a book.
- Add a few updates to the case studies you were writing, and then publish it.
Turn Your Infographics into In-depth Articles & Rank on More Keywords
- Infographics are the great way to promoting content visually to increase engagement.
- They will have better ranking if you boost them with content – to help the search engines associate the images with the content.
- Repurpose the content of the infographic into a blog post to avoid the waste of energy spent on social media hype you’ve created with your infographic.
Improve User Experience By Optimizing Website Speed
- Website speed is one important factor when it comes to user experience.
- Get a little technical in order to make sure that you are ranking properly.
- And the Time to First Bite has a contribution in ranking.
- TTFB still matters and you can use instruments to measure TTFB.
Pin Tweets that Address Your Reader’s Needs
- You can find how-to articles and tutorials about pretty much everything.
- You can use them in shaping your marketing strategy.
- Don’t just use this option to promote yourself better, but give something to the community instead.
- Try writing about something that would instantly hook the reader instead of something you’d really like them to know about, and watch your engagement rate increase.
Get Yourself Featured on Product Hunt for Expert Feedback
- Product Hunt is a great place with professionals always willing to take 5 minutes of their time and give you actionable tips.
- And sometimes even a lot of new traffic, if you’re lucky.
- New projects have the advantage of being full of possibilities and, if promoted properly, they can propel the entire startup that created them.
Use List Posts – They’re Easy to Read & Tweet
- People like visually organized content.
- It helps us focus on the relevant aspects of an article.
- Lists do increase your traffic, as their main purpose is to guide the reader through the content.
Post Optimized Videos Regularly To Rank For Video Content
- Best solution in video ranking is persistency – uploading content regularly with the only purpose of satisfying a need of your viewers.
- The more descriptive and elaborate the video title and descriptions are, the better you’re going to rank and the more views you’ll have.
- More than 3 billion hours worth of videos are watched each month.
- That’s how much we like video content, because it’s easy to go through and it allows us to focus on another complementary activity, making it way more efficient than reading.
Tag Influencers on Twitter to Let Them Know You Mentioned Them
- Engagement matters a lot when it comes to creating long-term relationships on social media.
- Sometimes you can mention influencers in your blog posts, and get their attention via Twitter.
- Many people in any industry already apply this as something organic.
- Follow people who you like reading updates from, and who inspire you.
- Think of social media as an opportunity to connect with people who’ve got the same interests and preoccupations as you do.
- Just let people know when you’ve got a new crush on a niched social media celebrity. You can never know where engagement comes from.
Mix Trending Content And Evergreen Content
- Trending content can bring you thousands of visits in the first few days, only to fade away less than a week later, while evergreen content is a constant and consistent source of traffic for years to come.
- These two work best in a complementary content marketing strategy, alternating the types of information you’re sharing with your audience to build both visibility and long term engagement.
- You have to strike a balance.
- Know Your Industry’s cycle – – from the times of the day when people have time to go through long reads to the most important news they’d be interested in monitoring no matter what.
Get A Column In Industry Publication
- Getting a column on an industry publication is multi-beneficial for your traffic.
- It associates you with press.
- Always flattering for those who read your emails and have seen you engage in personal conversations.
- It increases your exposure towards prospects you haven’t yet achieved.
- It is a position that favors an increase in leads.
Write a Response Post to Something/Someone Popular in the Niche
Every time when something’s gaining a lot of momentum, there will be people disagreeing with it, whose voices will not be heard because of the popular chanting around them.
You can always take the time to be that voice for them, but don’t do it unless it really represents your position, otherwise it could backfire later!
For instance, when everybody was praising Google’s new logo back in September, there was a New Yorker article written by Sarah Larson, that had something to say about it, and it was massively popular – because it treated something against the stream.
Google’s new visual identity was expected for a while now, and the Serifs made it look old-fashioned and too traditional for the values it stands for. However, this article brought arguments for the old version of the logo – and people loved it!
- If you aren’t able to figure out how to promote your website, the reason maybe the poorly written, poorly researched content.
- Research doesn’t conclude with searching on Google alone; pick up the phone and start asking people who know about the subject.
- When Brian Dean published his epic piece on all the 200 factors that decide your ranking on Google, he did just that. (See Google’s 200 ranking factors the complete list)
- The post has been linked several times and brings him a ton of traffic.
Publish A Series Of Posts
- Whether it is an affiliate product review or something else, a series of posts can work well.
- Try different keywords each time, focusing on some key aspect.
- That’s an easy and free hack how to promote your website.
- Another idea is to divide a large topic say “SEO” into mini guides and distribute them over a period of time.
- Merely publishing good posts is not enough.
- To learn how to promote your website you have to start by promoting your articles.
- Over time as the number of backlinks grow your site will start gaining authority and rank for multiple terms.
Join Niche Specific Forums
- Joining the biggest forums in your niche and contributing regularly to them is a good way to promote your website.
- Forum allows you to have a signature link that appears after each post you contribute.
- You can also post links to useful articles and or videos.
- You can join some forum that is relevant to your niche with lots of members.
Blog often, or on a regular basis
- Many bloggers have observed that greater the number of posts they published, the better traffic they received.
- It is believed that Google search spiders show you more love when you publish more often.
- If blogging daily isn’t possible – blog with a certain frequency. For example, you can blog every Wednesday or every Friday.
- When you publish posts twice a day for 5 weeks straight this is what happens
- Website Traffic Increase (overall traffic): 481%
Search Traffic Increase: 427%
Referral Traffic Increase: 440%
Direct Traffic Increase: 570%
Build a List
- With organic traffic dwindling and millions of blogs to compete with, how do you plan on building a sustainable business?
- Lots of visitors are landing on your site every day. Building a list is the only way to retain them.
Grow Your E-Mail List
- Giveaway something for free to grow your email list.
- You can giveaway an ebook, a set of useful resources etc.
- Including freebies has always helped to grow a list.
Use SEO Friendly WP Themes
- There are a number of SEO friendly wordpress themes.
- Such themes have multiple options to optimize your site for search engines.
- There are many SEO friendly wordpress themes that don’t break the bank.
- Use them to grow your blog.
Do basic SEO optimization
- Use Yoast SEO plugin to automate basis SEO tasks.
- Choose a focus keyword to base the post on.
- Add in the meta tags and keywords and optimize the headlines with and subheadings with h1 and h2 tags.
- Doing all these would bring good returns over the long term.
Post frequent updates on your Facebook page
- To improve engagement, you can spend a lot of money or you can post frequent updates.
- Page owners who update their pages two to three times a day see greater engagement.
- Another trick with Facebook is to post a large image and include a short description and link at the beginning.
Use Pinterest to get targeted traffic
- You don’t need automated tools for sending out thousands of images every day. Just keep it to 30-35 pins.
- Key to make Pinterest work for you is to make it grow organically.
- Don’t make the mistake of promoting only yourself. Variety is the spice of life.
Write an incredible about us page
- The about me page is the second most read page in most blogs and not including it is a missed opportunity.
- Tell about your failures and victories.
- Craft your story.
- Include a signup form at the bottom.
The upside down guest post
- When most people read your guest post, they completely skip the author bio section because Most author bio boxes are buried at the bottom of the page, like this:
- This is a huge problem. If people don’t see your link in your author bio, they’re not gonna visit your site.
- Fortunately, there’s a simple solution to this problem: The “Upside Down” Guest Post.
- First, write a guest post just like you normally would.
- Next, include “helpful resource” sections throughout your guest post.
- These sections link to 2-3 helpful resources on the topic you just covered.
- Finally, include YOUR content as one of the “helpful resources”.
Overhaul & Upgrade Old Blog Posts
- Find a post on your site that is outdated.
- Update and improve the post
- Sprinkle in new techniques and strategies
- Eliminate old strategies that don’t work anymore.
- Finally, update the new post to make the changes live.
- You will observe that traffic will shot up dramatically.
- Brian Dean used this strategy on his website, lead to 50.95% more traffic to his website in next 7 days.
Use Of LSI Keywords
- Instead of ONLY looking at keywords, Google now understands topics.
- After Google Hummingbird algorithm everything about SEO changed. Google said that: “Hummingbird affects 90% of all searches…”.
- Google now understands topics, instead of keywords. Here come the LSI keywords.
- LSI keywords are words and phrases related to your target keyword.
- For example, let’s say you just wrote a post about social media.
- LSI keywords would be words and phrases like: Facebook page, Twitter, LinkedIn, Viral content, Pinterest
- And when Google sees these LSI keywords in your content, they say: “Great. This content is definitely about social media”.
- How do you find these LSI keywords? There is tool called LSI Graph that spits out a dozen of keywords related to your topic.
Just sprinkle these LSI keywords into your post and you are done.
Retarget Visitors With Facebook Ads
- Use Facebook Retargeting ads to improve your website traffic.
- Create a Facebook ad that sends people to a blog post.
- Target people who have visited your site in the last month or two.
- Finally, run the ad.
You will probably find that your CPC is dirt cheap vs. most other types of advertising (like Google Adwords).
Publish Long-Form Content
As per analysis done by Buzzsumo, long-form content gets more shares and backlinks than short posts (<1,000 words).
In fact, as you can see in the chart above, long content (>3k words) gets 208% more shares than short articles.
Optimize for Google’s Mobile-First Index
- As per Google’s Mobile First Index, Google now counts the mobile version of your site FIRST.
- It also means that Google largely ignores the desktop version of your site.
- Ensure that your site is mobile optimized.
- How do you know if your site is mobile optimized?
- Google created a free tool for doing just that: The Mobile-Friendly Test. This tool tells you if your site is optimized properly for mobile devices.
It also gives you specific recommendations to make your site better.
Promote Blog Posts and Videos on Quuu
- Quuu is a simple way to get people to promote your content on social media.
- All you need to do is submit your best content.
- And they’ll ask influencers to share it on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and more.
Use a “Question Analyzer” To Create Insanely Useful Content
- Find questions that your target audience asks online.
- Answer those questions in your content.
- Use a tool like Buzzsumo’s Question Analyzer or Answer the Public to easily find questions that people ask.
- Either create entire posts to answer these questions or incorporate the answers into your content.
Improve Your Organic Click-Though-Rate
- If you want more traffic from Google, you DON’T need higher rankings. Instead, you can focus on improving your click-through-rate (CTR).
- CTR is now an important ranking signal in Google’s algorithm. So when you get a higher CTR, you’ll ALSO improve your rankings.
- Here are a few tips to improve your CTR:
- Add a number to your title (like “17” or “58%”)
- Write an intriguing meta description
- Test different titles and see which one gets the best CTR
- Use titles that are highly emotional
- Include your keyword in your URL
Steal Your Competitors’ Traffic Sources
- Imagine that you could see the EXACT places that send your competitors traffic.
- There is a tool called Similarweb where you can see all of your competitor’s traffic sources.
- SimilarWeb not only shows you a sweet overview of a site’s traffic but exactly where they get that traffic from.
Syndicate Your Content on Medium
- Medium is one of the BEST places to syndicate your best stuff.
- All you need to do is repost your content (word-for-word) on Medium.
- Then, share the Medium post on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- And when Medium sees that people are engaging with your post, they’ll start to promote it within their platform.
Post On Social Media at Strategic Times
CoSchedule recently analyzed the best times to post on social media networks (including Facebook, Instagram, Goolge+ and more).
Here’s what they found:
Best times to post on each network are:
Facebook: 7am, 12pm, 5pm
Pinterest: 2pm, 9pm, 2am
Instagram: 9am, 5pm, 2am
Google+: 9am, 11am, 1pm
Find More Keywords With “Keywords Everywhere
Keyword research is THE most important part of SEO.
How do you find untapped keywords that everyone and their mom doesn’t already know about?
Keywords Everywhere is a free Chrome extension that gives you keyword ideas.
The next time you do a Google search, you’ll see search volume and CPC data on that keyword:
Or the next time you’re shopping for a toothbrush on Amazon — BOOM — you see keyword data on the terms that Amazon suggests: